Friday, February 12, 2016

Modeling Knife

So at work they have been teaching me to make custom clay modeling tools from scratch. It is a lot of fun and I have learned a lot about metal working and get to use lots of high quality wood and other fun things. The latest tool that I have made is my modeling knife. Here are some pictures of the final product.


The design is partially inspired by dwarven weaponry from the Hobbit. I have the art book from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Chronicles Art & Design and it has lots of really cool sketches of different swords, tools and trinkets from each of the dwarves.




These are my large double sided rake and my small rake. I put a lot of angular shapes in the design. My theme for all my tools has been, "twisted geometry"where things are faceted like crystal but the facets are slightly warped to be a little more ergonomic and fit the overall shape of the handle.

With the knife I chose to sandwich two different types of wood together to get another color and a different pop of pattern. The inner wood is some random piece of cross cut scrap that I found in the bin and the outside darker wood is a really dark piece of cocobolo. I love how the cocobolo polishes into a lacquer-like finish. I sanded it to 1500 grit and then buffed it and it shines like plastic.



I set the handle with brass pins that I sanded to fit the facets of the handle. The angles cut into the wood revealed the inner layer in really interesting ways. Shout out to Biltsharp Knives who was kind enough to give me some advice on putting this thing together. I reached out to him through Tumblr and he took some time to message me with a few of his tips and tricks for knife building. Definitely check him out 'cause his work is mind-blowingly amazing.


Since it is a clay knife it will be used for drawing lines on the model and carving out rough chunks so the point is rounded so it can draw curves easier and the edge isn't really sharp enough to cut much. It seems to fit in my hand nice and comfortably and I am super excited to see how it holds up to daily use at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment