Saturday, January 30, 2016

Hedgehog Bookends

Back in December I made some bookends for some good friends of ours as a Christmas gift. I used a chunk of a pine branch I had laying around and sculpted some little hedgehogs to go on top.



I split the stump in half and sanded the sides flat. Then I carved up the top of the stumps to look more natural like a stump in the forest.


I wanted something to make them more than just a chunk of wood so I made a bunch of little mushrooms and fungus out of hot glue.


So I got a little dish full of ice water and my small hot glue gun and pretty much just squirted a bunch of strings into the water.


They formed kind of like noodles that I cut up in little sections for the stems of the mushrooms.


then i carefully put a little glob on the thinner end of the little stem and tapped the end of it into the mushroom cap shape with my finger that I had chilled in the ice water.


Then I dipped it in the ice water to solidify it.


once I had enough I glued them in a little cluster to the side of the log in a little crevice where the bark had chipped off.





For the shelf fungus I used the bottom of the water dish and made a half circle shape with the hot glue gun. Then I made layers underneath that of hot glue that got progressively smaller and smaller until they made a little upside-down peak. Once that set I popped it off and used the hot tip of the glue gun to melt some rings of texture in the top of the steps where it was stuck to the dish. Then I glued them in place.


After that was all in place I gave it a few coats of shellac to seal the wood.


I painted everything black first and then silver to make it look like metal.


The hedgehogs are not attached to the logs but I put small dots of hot glue on their feet so they can grip to the painted surface.








The silver really helps to make it all unified and fancy looking. 



I had some thin black leather that I cut out and glued them to the bottom with rubber cement so they don't scratch the surface they are put on.

Here they are with the hedgehogs posed on them.
Not bad for a nights work.



No comments:

Post a Comment